Quote:
Examination gloves I don't actually carry in the kit itself. I just grap a handfull from the lab and put them in a pocket.

This gets me thinking. Maybe I could get some sort of pouch and adhere it to the outside of the kit and put the gloves in there. Makes them easier to get before you even dive into the kit and if you just stuffed them in there it might actually deal with the bulk and stuff. Hmm.

Quote:
Consider going for a soft case rather than a hard case. They are much much easier to pack to efficiently use the space.

Hmm. Part of the reason I picked the hard case was to make it so I didn't have to deal with waterproofing and wearproofing the various items. Previously I had just stuffed things into a double bagged ziplock, but then I put the meds in little bottles, and stuff in other bags and stuff and I was still worried about crushing it in my pack (I'm not delicate with it). On the other hand, I can see where these cases are not optimal. The weight is a big one, and the other problem I run into is that the lid portion is not just a lid, but also part of the sides. That means you kind of have to "pile" stuff up to use the whole space. Obviously a bit of a problem. I do think most soft cases don't have this problem.

Quote:
I assume you have packed the medications along with the instruction sheet but binned the box it all came in?

Yah, I've been working to get as much stuff as possible with little single use packets so they contain instructions on them. However that doesn't apply to everything, but there isn't much in there and nothing too exotic.

Quote:
I would look again at some of the meds you are carrying. Some are not really what I would call first aid but are more for comfort.

Agreed. Considering I try to think about being a bit of an island, I do pack some stuff that fits into the comfort catagory. Nothing worse than being stuck in an airport or something and feeling sick and not being able to do anything about it. I'm willing to deal with a bit of the weight and bulk penalty this implies, but I do need to make sure I don't get too carried away in this respect.

Quote:
You don't need butterfly closures and steri-strips. I would lose the butterfly closures.

I'll lose the butterfly closures. I'm still waiting for someone to beat some sense into me before I lose the steri-strips! :-)

Quote:
rather than cotton gauze consider carrying a tampon. Ther are compressed and take up a lot less space.

After the discussion here, I'm just going to lose it all together. Good idea tho.

Quote:
Hope you found that of some use. The bottom line is that there is no perfect FAK. It depends on your own knowledge of what you can do and an assessment of what you will actually need it for.

Yes, the ideas are great. Thanks!

-john