I took my little day care kiddo to Rouge Park in Pickering, ON, this morning. It's a great little kids park on a beach that's a rock hunter's paradise. We arrived around 9:30am, but it was an overcast, super windy and only 8C, so I was second-guessing myself as we got our packs out of the car. And then the alarm system for the Pickering nuclear reactor went off. Yup, it did. I used to work in the neighbourhood, so I knew the sound. I didn't think to check before we left home this morning, but in case it wasn't system testing, we headed back to the car and headed straight for home.

A few minutes later the alarm stopped, and as I drove I received confirmed that they were in fact doing alarm testing today. Crisis averted. PHEW!! We switched gears a bit and went for a nature walk instead, but I've been totally preoccupied by it all day.

I have to admit, my mind was racing as I started that drive home. Why didn't I check if it was a testing day before we left home? What route should I take to get home? In what order should I pick up the kids? Should I go get my niece and nephew who live and go to school in Pickering? Where is my husband working today? Where are my daycare parents right now? Where did I put the KI pills? Why didn't I fill up the gas tank in the car today?!

I'm pretty confident in our preparations in terms of supplies, but we need a little more work on the logistics. Back to the planning board I go.

What would you do in a similar situation? About a 45 min drive from home, just on a three hour tour... How's your family emergency plan looking?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA