Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
We're apparently doing a lot of the right thing in Puerto Rico right now. What I'm reading tells me that the Navy, Marine Corps and the American Red Cross are leading the efforts.
All the US military services are responding in Puerto Rico, including the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and the Coast Guard.

That being said, the Marine/Navy team are ideally configured for a situation like this. There are at least two Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) deployed on Navy ships at all times. Humanitarian assistance is one of the missions that MEUs train for. An MEU is designed to be entirely self sufficient even in austere environments, and includes its own logistics, engineers, medical, and aviation assets. Being deployed at sea on Navy amphibious ships, an MEU is ideal for responding to disasters in coastal regions.
Quote:
The MEU is unique in that its air and ground combat elements are combined with a logistics combat element under one commander; other services do not unite the command of air and ground forces until much higher command levels.
----------snip--------
This air-ground task force concept is designed to thoroughly exploit the combat power inherent in air and ground assets by closely integrating them into a single force. The MEU brings all the supplies and logistical support it needs to sustain itself for quick mission accomplishment or to pave the way for any follow-up forces. This self-sustainment allows more flexibility in disposition and operations of forces, and allows the MEU to initiate operations sooner and let support catch up later, without having to wait for external logistical support to begin a mission. Deployments on U.S. Navy amphibious assault ships allows MEUs to seabase around the globe, ready for deployment at short notice.
A typical MEU has approximately 2,200 Marines and sailors.

I believe the 26th MEU is the one currently assisting in the Caribbean area.

Edited by AKSAR (09/27/17 05:33 PM)