Technological advances since Hurricane Andrew (1992) and Katrina (2005) are being lauded for their performance before, during and after Harvey and Irma this month.

Hurricane Harvey is being hailed as a seminal event in the utilization of unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) in search, rescue and recovery operations. The Federal Aviation Administration has so far issued more than 250 emergency permits for drone use in Harvey and Irma operations.

Florida Power & Light is using 49 "drone teams" in conjunction with their repair teams. This allows them to assess their transmission lines and other infrastructure in flooded areas where vehicles have been unable to safely go. Drones are being used in Texas and Florida to inspect roadways, bridges and railways. Drones have obvious utility for SAR. Insurance adjusters are finding drones useful for surveying flooded homes. Safer for an adjustor to use a drone to view a roof than to climb up a ladder.

Social media, I can personally attest, was invaluable for keeping in touch with loved ones. And also for assisting from out-of-state. "Zello" -- a phone app -- was made famous by the "Cajun Navy" an all-volunteer rescue effort out of Louisiana. Zello allows your phone to function as a virtual Walkie-Talkie and the Cajun Navy used it for people to report their need and Cajun Navy dispatchers would transmit to boat operators. My family used it for pre-landfall group conversations. Large public Zello groups were formed around Irma. It's a free app and worth checking out.

During Irma's landfall on Naples, the principal apps my brother and I utilized were Messages and RadarScope Pro. Priceless in those hours.

So in addition to the traditional forms of prepping for disasters, thought should be given to the tools that technology is giving us. Will require having backup phone chargers or other source of power.