Originally Posted By: hikermor
Thank you Dagny for this gripping report and the excellent information. Glad all are well.

Not being concerned with hurricanes where I live, I am translating the experiences into strategies that will apply when I might face my local hazard - earthquakes.

ETS and those here providing useful information are really helpful in dealing with these situations.

ETS Rules!!

Yes, every disaster, no matter what the cause, can inform how we handle others.

I was thinking of earthquakes during this situation. My Wonder Years were growing up in Torrance, California, and though I was young I clearly remember waking up at 6:01 a.m. in February 1971 when the San Fernando quake (now referred to as the Sylmar Quake) struck. The aftershocks were scary for us (and our babysitters when my parents were out some evenings).

With hurricanes you can have several days warning (but possibly few options, depending on your circumstances) but earthquakes are out of the blue.

For their surprise and incredible capacity for widespread destruction, earthquakes are the worst Mother Nature can throw at us (well, other than extinction events....)