I don't have anything that I'd consider necessary in an emergency that would require the expense of setting up solar. Cell phones? If your area is going to be out of power for an extended period, those aren't going to work for long even if their batteries are charged. Charged flashlight batteries could come in handy, but for the cost of a solar setup you could buy a lot of Eneloops and charge them in advance. And then move on to candles after they're depleted. You're not going to be running refrigerators, air conditions or a washing machine unless you do some serious financial investment in your solar setup. And what if the sun is not shining after a disaster?

I would think a generator powered from your homes natural gas would be the best option. And if you lose natural gas, a backup smaller generator that runs off of gasoline that you have safely stored in advance. Or LP gas, if you happen to have one of those large stationary tanks in your back yard.

My thoughts are that the things you can power via solar are more convenience items than necessary items. Unless you really spend BIG in your solar setup. And be lucky enough that your big investment doesn't get destroyed by the same disaster that put you in need of that investment in the first place.

Charging some AA Eneloops with a small inexpensive solar panel is about as far as I'd consider. But I don't even have that - I just have a whole mess of already-charged Eneloops and LiIons and a couple of those gigantic Costco AA battery packages for backup of the backup, or to give out to neighbors.

Each person's situation is different though. I can imagine some medical devices might be functional on solar charging (if the sun is out after the disaster).

Edited by haertig (09/14/17 09:14 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction