My solar stuff is all Goal Zero (no connection), primarily because the components work well without any math on my part (which is a good thing). Not cheap but simple to use. I am inclined to go deper into solar once I learn more, because I'll bet there are some good, relatively cheap items out there.

2 backpackable panels, and several power banks. I can readily keep my AA and AAA Eneloops charged up, as well as our cell phones, so we have light and means of communication, if cell towers are operating. One of the best is their Mini-Lighthouse lantern - variable brightness levels up to 250 lumens and the 3000mah battery can also charge a cell phone a time or two. I have spare proprietary batteries for the two units I have.

I have used this stuff on field projects and it seems to work pretty well. I can store all the components, including the panels in an ammo can,so the system should survive a quake.

Second the comment about the Prius. It will serve multiple purposes if ever need be. For that matter, get a USB outlet for your power port on a conventional vehicle and you can easily keep small stuff running.