Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
What first aid and other medical training do you have? I've found that as I've trained with more interventions that I start building opinions on which gear works best for me to do what I've been trained to do.
I took a class on CPR and first aid. Aside from the CPR, the course on first aid was not useful. I learned more by studying Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. and practicing what I studied on myself.
Teaching ones own self is always a good start, and Weiss is not a bad book. However, since first aid seems to be a primary interest of yours, I strongly recommend you try to get some additional formal training. There are many aspects of first aid that can be learned better in a group, with a good instructor.

I'm very partial to the Wilderness First Responder course (WFR, often pronounced "Woofer"). The great thing about these classes is the emphasis on practical scenarios, where one gets to try out what you have learned. Also, a lot of emphasis on improvisation. The instructor may set up a scenario, in which you have minimal first aid supplies, but there is a whole pile of gear of the sort one might have while camping or hiking. Your problem is to improvise a solution to the problem using available materials. Then everyone in the group debriefs, about how well it worked, and alternative ways one might solve the problem. Also a lot of emphasis on decision making, like can this injury wait until daylight or better weather? Or do we need to evacuate the victim right now? Also emphasis on long term care, when it isn't practical to evacuate to a hospital. Many of the people taking WFR are outdoor professionals (guides, SAR, etc), who have dealt with some really gnarly stuff, and you will also learn a lot from the group discussions.

The downside to WFR is that it is about a 70 hour course, and costs around $600 (last time I checked). There are also 2 day Wilderness First Aid (WFA) classes that cover the same material, just in less depth. Because it is a shorter class, WFA tends to be a good deal more affordable than WFR.

There are several national outfits that sponsor these courses. Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) is one. Wilderness Medical Institute (WMI), affiliated with NOLS, is another. I've had personal experience with classes from both these outfits, and both are good. Another organization that sponsors wilderness medicine classes is SOLO, I have no personal experience with them but have heard they are good.

However, I would stay clear of Red Cross "Wilderness First Aid" classes. In my experience they tend to be very watered down and not nearly as good as those from WMA, WMI or SOLO.

I hope you can find a way to get some formal training. I think you would enjoy it, and learn a lot.