Note that my previous comments were not meant to diss military gear. I was only trying to point out that military gear is designed for specific requirements, which are in many cases different than civilian needs. But certainly the price of surplus gear makes it attractive. Like hikermor, in my youth I used a lot of GI surplus gear because that was all I could afford. The same is no doubt true for Montanero's boy scouts. (They are very fortunate to have a leader with his background and skills!)

In my opinion, currently the best compromise between function, sturdiness, and light weight is found in packs and other gear designed for serious technical and expeditionary climbing. Look for brands such as Black Diamond, Patagonia, and Arc'teryx. Hard core climber's lives depend on their gear working, and not falling apart, yet weight is crucial when doing big climbs at high altitudes. But this gear is definitely not cheap! Hikermor mentioned the North Face VE 25 tent. The VE 25 and it's almost identical predecessor the VE 24 was for many years considered the Gold Standard tent for use in the most extreme conditions in winter, in arctic regions, and at high altitude. I understand that various Spec Ops teams contracted with the North Face for special runs of these tents in colors suitable for military use.

Some of these high end mountaineering gear makers have special divisions that design and make gear for Spec Ops and other specialized users. See for example ARC'TERYX LEAF. (WARNING: Opening this link can result in Life Threatening Sticker Shock!)

Originally Posted By: Montanero
When out in the remote areas for either work or with the scouts, I like to have certain things attached to the outside of my pack so everyone knows exactly where to find them (first aid, ropes, communications, extra water) without dumping my pack out.
As always, opinions differ on this. Generally speaking, I have just the opposite view, and for me the less stuff on the outside of my pack, the better. Generally the trend in climbing packs is for a clean exterior to avoid snagging. The one exception to that, for me, is my shovel when traveling in avalanche terrain. When a companion is buried in a slide, seconds count and having my shovel instantly available is a big plus. As always, different situations lead to different solutions.