Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Probably one thing that's "up" is that there are more bears due to conservation efforts and simultaneously more humans invading are their territory. Anecdotally I'm told that bears are having more contact nowadays with 1) campers and 2) researchers.

Another thing that may be "up" is the use of and designs of the newer housing developments. (I am speaking from my observations in Virginia and Maryland USA). Post-WW2, housing developments would just level everything and put house after house. Local wildlife had to get out and stay out---there really was no place for them to survive.

But starting later in the 80s local county planning offices started requiring allocation of the original natural environment to remain in its original state. These areas are called various things: "green buffers, "conservation easements," etc. These area were designed to interconnect over a large area. Intentionally or not, they provided a natural highway (and sanctuary) for all sorts of creatures that would not normally be so close to us humans. Most notably, white tail deer use these areas. And (slowly) following the deer, bears.

I have one of these areas behind my present home, which on first look, would seem to be part of a well developed housing development. But out my back window, I often see Deer (many), Fox, Skunk and all of the usual smaller animals. I see no reason why a bear would not find this a nice place to create a home. Besides, there are all those tasty trash cans to explore. . .