A while ago, we had a lively thread on sub $10 EDC knives. At one point I asked if anyone had any experience with the very low priced UST "survival knives." Apparently no one had.

I ordered couple of their products a while ago and have used them (lightly) now for about a month. I obtained a ParaKnife FS 2.0 and a Saber Cut Para knife 3.0 - both together cost a little over $20 bucks - prices will vary depending on the supplier, but they are pretty inexpensive. I am not sure that the 3.0 (3" blade length) is in the UST catalog anymore, but it may still be available. There is also a 4.0 which is very similar.

Both knives are way better than nothing, although not superlative examples of blade making art. Both are full tang, fashioned out of a single piece of 440C stainless, a type of cutlery I am attracted to - I also own a couple of CRKT Stiff kisses made in the same fashion.

Of the two, I prefer the 3.0. The blade is long enough for most usage and the para cord wrapped handle is comfortable. It comes with a nylon sheath which holds the knife securely in vertical belt carry. It did not cut as well right out of the box as my Skeletool CX, but that is no surprise.

The 2.0 is a bit more problematic. Also of stainless steel (probably 440C, although that is nowhere stated). It has a short saw, which seems sharp, although rather short for most tasks. it also has a bottle opener (?), a hex cut out, and a set of hex wrench cutouts in case one needs to adjust a nut. There is also a fire steel siting on the backside of the sheath, which bulks up the package considerably. There is also a centimeter scale, which everyone knows is absolutely essential for survival....

Oddly enough, the hex cut out is not 1/4", and hence cannot deploy any of the various hex drive gadgets one might have handy. With the fire steel, the total package is quite bulky, and the various gadgets do not seem all that useful, with the partial exception of the saw.

If one desires a fire steel/blade combo, my preference is the LMF Fire Knife, which incorporates a fire steel within the handle is a very secure manner. I have used these for lighting canister stoves, with good results, and you have a good quality blade (Mora) as well. But they cost somewhat more (about $24 most places).

The 3.0 is a decent quality, lightweight knife with no frills, The 2.0 could be stowed in a kit (after sharpening) for occasional, intermittent use, although the winner in that category is the Ritter PSK, IMHO. That is what lives in my kit.....