Originally Posted By: hikermor
I get the impression that heat treatment is often overlooked, while inordinate attention is given to the exotic steel types. Apparently Buck knives, fashioned from garden variety, peasant class 420HC, and given their proprietary heat treatment, perform quite well. Mine are certainly slicing away, with occasional sharpening from time to time.
Buck Knives....oh how plebian! smile I'm kidding of course. One of my favorite knives was a big buck folder. I say "was" because it seemed to grow legs and wander off some years back. frown I keep hoping it will turn up in some obscure corner of the house or garage.

As I noted up-thread, there are at least 3 critical elements to a good knife, the type of steel being only one of them. Also very important are heat treatment, and blade design (including angle of the cutting edge). A given steel and heat treatment which might be ideal for a thick bladed knife, might be a total failure in a long thin blade such as a fillet knife. Every successful knife manufacturer has their own secret sauce combination of steel, heat treatment, and blade design.

In my view, don't get too hung up on whether it is "SK5" or "VG10" or "Unobtainium" or whatever. I think the way to select a knife is first decide what you want to use it for. EDC in town? Bushcraft? Ultralight backpacking? Hunting? Fighting off lions?

Then decide what style, size, and blade type you think will best serve your purpose. Fixed blade or folder? Short or long? Straight edge or serrated?

Then decide how much you are willing and able to pay?

Finally, with the above in mind, look at the offerings of that type by different well regarded manufacturers. That should narrow things down. Pick the one that you think best meets those requirements, and just feels right to you. If you stick to a well regarded knife maker you probably won't be disappointed.

That's my $.02 worth.