We rarely get any amount of snow here but today, we are getting a good blast of it and there is about 6 inches accumulated so far.

Needless to say, living in a temperate climate, most people don't
bother with winter tires and when the snow starts, they find themselves stuck in it. Where we live, there is a smallish hill which is not very long nor very steep but just enough to cause grief when these vehicles with all season tires to spin out on when coming up.

In less then 2 hours, I have pulled 4 vehicles up the hill and not one had a tow rope in their vehicle. One guy had some worn out 3/8" poly rope that definitely seen better days and thought he was good to go.

Also no one had any salt, sand or any other traction aids. So in other words - they are totally unprepared.

The recovery strap I have is rated at 7,000 lbs and if someone is that stuck and needs something stronger, they will be calling a tow truck.

The 5/8" shackles seen are also rated to 7,000 lbs. In case you are wondering, the blue straps are axle straps and also rated the same. I find these thinner straps are easier to wrap around a smaller vehicle frames, axles etc. While on the other end, the axle strap is wrapped around my trailer hitch frame as is tucked up tight under the bumper which makes it a fight to get the fatter recovery strap in there.

I think that every vehicle, especially in winter should be equipped with a suitable rated tow rope or recovery strap. Anyone here carry either?

John Lubbock