Lots of interesting replies. Much appreciated!

I've had three social events in the last few months (around a fire) where I have been prevailed upon to crank out a set or two on an old Fender acoustic, accompanied by my gravelly voice. To my surprise, they were very well received! Maybe there's a renewed appetite toward "live music is better" -- organic music, with all its imperfections, a pushback against endless floods of perfectly engineered recordings?

Anyway, the question now is how to build a playlist that is do-able by one guy with an acoustic guitar and gravelly voice. (Or other instruments that continue to work, surprisingly, when the electricity is off.) It has to hit a number of genres and build a sense of group inclusion and camaraderie without giving unnecessary offense to anyone.

For example, I didn't know where to start, so I warmed up a couple of groups by getting them to remember camp songs from their youth. Silly, cheesy, goofy, it's all fine -- and fun. Gets them in the zone. Then there's Otis Redding: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay -- getting everyone to whistle along at the end (badly) was a bit hit.

In that vein, thoughts and suggestions?