Originally Posted By: Montanero
You find what works for you, and you use it. As to the point of the original post, practice what you plan to use. In my opinion, you need to be able to set up you shelter in the dark and in bad weather, with your fingers numb from the cold. The real difficulty for most people is tying the knots and figuring out how to set one up in a variety of situations. Practice, practice, practice. Whatever you use, be able to use it well.

Well said, spoken from experience. Couldn't agree more.

Personally, I like both tarps and ponchos. But when hiking solo I will always pick a poncho over a small tarp. It's basically the same thing but can be worn on one's person whereas a tarp is less versatile in that department.

I don't find a poncho all that cumbersome even in heavy brush. Tie it around your waist to keep it from getting caught in the branches and it will do just fine. Rain jackets generally fit more snugly but very few are as durable as a good military poncho. None can be used to make a rain shelter that will keep you dry in a hard downpour.

Anyone looking for a good military poncho should give the Bundeswehr/German army pattern a try. it's very generously sized (about 80" in length!) and is provided with a couple of sturdy waist straps. This is what I've used for the last 15 years and I can't recommend it enough. It's also part of my BOB and one of the very few items of gear that I'd ever leave behind before going on a long trek.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/poncho-german-bundeswehr-bw-military-321528.html