I Refer Everyone Back to a Post Presumed Lost has Done, on this Topic, in one of our Two Main Forums. (I Think it is on the Survival One). It Goes a Good Ways Back, -so Make Sure you Set your Search Period a Good Ways Back.

Generally, One Shud Pay some Attention and Mind to This. When Setting Up Camp, or Otherwise when out in the Woods, or Among / Near Trees.

There's Only so Much one can Often Do though, when it Comes to this.

Obviously, Survey and Avoid Dead / Unstable, Etc, -Branches and Trees. Doin't Set Up Under the Most Likely Fallature Direction / and Distance Outward from the Tree.

Beyond This, -There's Little to Nothing that can be Done.

Trees are of a Distance and Density in a Typical Forest or Woods, -that Total Avoidance of Being Under Any One's Fall Zone, -is Just Impossible.

Additionally, -We Shud Keep in Mind, -that While the Freak Fall Occurs even with some Perfectly Healthy Trees, and on Perfectly Windless Days!, -*It is Still Quite Very Rare!*

After First Taking What Prudent Observations and Precautions as we Can, -The Rest Often must be just Running the Risk. -And a Quite Rare Risk at That.

I've Seen / Heard a Tree Similarly Fall Right Out of the Blue in some Woods, at least once. (Though in this case, the Tree Wasn't on the Best of Slopes or Soils). (See my own post on Such, Titled "Falling Trees",-on the Survival Forum, I Think).

Though Rare, -Such may Not be so Rare as One may Typically Think. Still it is Rather Rare, and There's again Only So Much One Can Usually Do concerning Such!

Regarding the Comment about How Such Kills More People in the Jungles, than Animals or Whatnot. -Relatively Rare as the Phenonomon is, -I Wouldn't be Surprised if this were True!

I'd Venture that such Tree Falls are More Common in Tropical Jungles, -than in our Temperate Forests and Woods.

By Virtue of Both there being Many Many More Trees! And a Certain Prevalence of Weaker Trees! As Well as Weaker Soil Holds.

And Jungle Populations (Human Now), are Typically Not All that Great to begin with! And Yet Tree Falls can Still Kill More than Animals!

This Reminds me of Something I've Read, -in "Paddling to the Amazon", I Think. It Speaks of Unstable Riverside Cliffs in the Manaus Area. Made of Clay, Chalk, or some Kind of Soil or Something. It just so Happens that the Manaus Area Poor, -Build their Shantytowns there! Or "Favelas", as they Call them in Brazil. And Guess What!? / No Surprise!, -The Book mentions that these Cliffs Commonly Collapse, -from Time to Time. On Shantytowns and their Residents. So just Something of a Heads Up Warning on this, -while on the Topic of Jungle Hazards.

(Many of you of course Know Where Manaus is. But for the Benefit of Anyone who Doesn't, -it's a Rare, Sizeable Metro Area, -Deep in Brazil's Amazon Jungle. As St Louis is on our Mississippi, -Manaus is on the Amazon.).

IN SUMUP,-

Back to Trees, Woods, Jungles, and Forests now, -It's Rather Rare!, -But the Freak Fall Occurrance Still Does Occur! And Certain Observations / Assessments have Got to be Made, -then Intelligently Adhered To! But Beyond This, -There's Only So Much Anyone can Really Do! It's just a Risk that has to be Averted to the Max, and Intelligently Run! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]Dan-e-boy[/email]