Joe,

Few years back we found this nice campsite right of the river that we would pull in everytime we went kayaking. Nothing big or crazy but a lot of trees and really comfortable shade. Tent placement was random and we spaced out pretty far so everyone had enough privacy. Thick vegetation in the crowns of the treest blocked the sun. We did it all summer long. Finally last trip was schedulled for November, Upon pulling into the site there was no vegetation anymore and I looked up. Place where our fire always was and where we all hanged out had an overhang and cought in that crown were huge parts of dead broken branches some just loged in and some just hanging by the bark. We moved to a different place and extablished a new fire ring, in the middle of the night those branches fell down and dug themselves 2-3 feet into the ground. They were up there all summer long and we never knew what hang over us. We usually stay up very late and sometimes I don't even bring the tent and crash right by the fire. If we got some strong winds in the summer I wouldn't even know what hit me.

I'm not awere of any special precautions when setting up the camp near trees althou they tell you not to hide under the tree during T-storm. Personally I use trees to shade me from elements. But I know for sure that besides looking around and on the ground I'm also looking up more often now.

Matt