Hello folks! Long time, no post.

My wife and I are considering moving our family to a more rural area. We currently live on the coast of Nassau County, NY (Long Island), just outside of New York City. We have identified the area of Putnam County, NY, and specifically the area around Cold Spring, NY, as an area we might like to live in. Good public schools, easy access to outdoors recreation, larger house plots, etc.

One aspect of the area we cannot wrap our heads around is its proximity to the Indian Point nuclear power plant. For those who do not know, this is a nuclear plan located in Westchester County, NY, that is about 13-15 miles away from the area we are looking at (and a little over 50 miles from where we are now).

One of the reasons we are considering the move is that we don't know how sustainable living on a barrier island in the Atlantic is going to be. We had a very close call with Superstorm Sandy, and would rather not go through that again. But it seems to be a polls errand to move out or hurricane danger and into nuclear danger.

So the question is: How dangerous is it to live 15 miles or less from a nuclear power plant? If I moved there, what additional preps or precautions would I want to take to keep my family safe if anything went wrong (or am I so close that my preps really wouldn't matter!) I ask this without making any value judgement about nuclear power. I'm trying to figure out if I should cross this area - which we really like - off of our list.

Thanks for the advice!