I've found that getting in some time behind my horn (concert trombone) relaxes and rejuvenates me. Unfortunately, the only time I can play it is open (un-muted) is when everybody else is out of the house. Come to think about it, nobody else likes my harmonica playing either. Though I will admit I'm a dilatant on the tin sandwich.

Since so much of dealing with a disaster involves waiting for the situation to change, morale, welfare, and recreation (MW&R) become important. Games, reading, and of course, music is all part of it.

Bugging in - Any acoustic instrument, except the stuff in the soprano range (piccolo and parlor trumpet). Piano and acoustic guitar is probably the best for group amusement.

Bugging out to on foot - There are travel instruments like the Strum Stick guitar and pBone plastic band instruments. For the most part, I would stick to pocket size stuff (Harmonica, Ocarina, Recorder, Drum practice pads, roll up keyboards). I keep a harmonica in the glove box for times when I'm just cooling my heels.

Bugging out via vehicle - If you can fit it in the car, and it can tolerate the temperatures in the car (most brass instruments don't like anything over 120F), take it. If you're likely to end up in s shelter or a hotel, make sure whatever you take can use earphones. I can't imagine that opening up with a full power brass instrument in a shelter is going to be very welcome.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane