What a terrible combination of factors in this case. Sadly, it seems like something as simple as the "Hug a Tree" concept may have saved her: As soon as you know you are lost, stay put and blow on your whistle 3 times every few minutes until they find you, and find other ways to signal while you stay put. It seems like she'd been turned around many times before, and never stayed lost, so probably had an over-inflated confidence. Sometimes it's easy to confuse good luck with good judgement.

No judgement from me. I hope she found peace and hope her husband and hiking partner do to. I think we can find some take-aways though, to help ensure our own excursions have a happier ending:

Wear a whistle, secured to your person. All. The. Time. Even if you are the best land navigator in the world, there is always a chance of mechanical injury....

Stay on the trail, and if you are hiking with a partner, stay together. Our family rule is that we stay within sight, or at least shouting distance, even more so after reading the details of this story.

From what I understand, getting turned around on the AT is pretty easy, as it is on many trails. Dense brush, false trails, bad blazes. Combined with a poor sense of direction... it seems to me that she might have been wise to stack the deck more in her favour when it comes to navigation. You have to stay aware as you travel, but also self-aware and know your limits. Map, compass or basic orienteering skills are going to be brushed up on around here.

Likewise, it seems pretty common to put too much faith in GPS and other electronic devices. She forgot her SPOT in her hotel room. That might make me more inclined to stick to the trail, but I'd want some privacy for bathroom breaks too.

AT hikers, in particular, seem to embrace the camp stove, and hate the campfire, making it impossible for many of them to start a signal fire, Fire bans are very common, but knowing the basics could save your life.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA