Perhaps you can't prep for others. You can get them the equipment, but you cannot get them the knowledge to use the equipment. It's kind of like photography -- you can give your friend an SLR camera, but unless your friend is into photography and has the knowledge to use such a camera, it's just wasted. A totally inexperienced person may wonder why the kit has matches ("is it for smoking?"), a bandana ("guess I can wrap it around my head Rambo-style!"), or a condom ("who knew survival was so sexy?").

When I put together a kit for myself, I'm thinking about what I can do, and what gear I'll need to do to do what I can do. So, to take a not-so-good example, I'd never include a bow drill because I just cannot start a fire with one. (I have tried, and it's hard. Guys, matches, lighters, etc. are a real blessing.) If you carry gear for others, you'd need to have an idea what they know. And I think if they took the pain to acquire some skills, they'd probably be already prepared, or can be easily talked into preparing.