Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
. . .I don't see why anyone would pick a tarp when they could have a tent.. .

I thought about the tent and chose the tarp because I assumed that the tarp would be the size of the one I have, which is 11.5 feet by 15.75 feet. It seemed to me that much material could be cut and fashioned into a variety of useful things. Also, the large size would collect a lot of rain water.

Most tarps have a silver side and blue side, which might also help in setting up some sort of signal.

It seems to me to be more flexible to meet different needs than a tent. But no doubt the tent would be more comfortable and effective shelter.

My point exactly. These tarps are an incredible source for zillions of improvizations, easy to setup and take off, and incredibly heavy duty! You can cut a piece and have no noticeable impact from that on your shelter, contrary to any tent (many folks above plan to cut something from the tent and still retain its bug/weeatherproofness properties after that, but even if you use only the rainfly for something unusual - you can quickly ruin its waterproofness really easy with the typical PVC/urethane coating used for that). Besides, the tent pictured is really not suitable for any serious shelter from elements, as that's the cheap Wnzel Alpine 3 person tent: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PAT60S even the rainfly on it is a joke smile

The FAK could be definitely essential if we know its content. The one pictured, is quite a good one actually (but not ideal, as Jacqui expecting): https://www.optomo.com.au/product/sports-first-aid-kit/ However, I would adjust my kit replacing the mirror with it. So my revised list would be:

Tarp, knife, FAK, flashlight.

A flashlight is better for the night signaling because you can use morse code to convey your message clearly and effortlessly any moment and to any direction (imagine that you heard a ship/plane/copter coming in the vicinity of the opposite to your shelter side of your densely "firewooded" island (tall trees), where you can run, but cannot bring your 3 piles of wood quickly). Also, with the signaling fire, you need to build and feed 3 of them (distress signal) in a wide enough row every night - that's a lot of resources and energy to spend (still doable, granted the island provides plenty of resources to replenish that energy daily).

By the way, I saw a lot of hype on preppers resources about the importance of having a glowstick, which being spinned on a cord should create a "highly visible glow ring" for signaling. However, from my astronomy (and thus light physics and visual perception) experience, a concentrated bright point is much more visible over a greater distance, especially compared to the barely visible glow produced by the chem.stick, dispersed over a large field of view (some may recall the laser beam test explained here a while ago supporting that as well). The wider motion of the light might play a role here, though, so if in doubt, I'd rather hold my >100 lumen flashlight with a long leafy branch in one hand and wave it around making sure it's well illuminated. Or I can illuminate in a SOS morse pattern a well visible from around tall tree instead. A green laser could work great for that as well, if you shake it in a fast "scanning" motion over the tree branches (had heard a loud "wow!" from the half a mile over the lake campground once, when played with my astronomy green laser that way at night, perhaps, thy thought it was an UFO landing smile ).

Another nice "flashlight on a rope" night signaling technique, I'm aware of, is great for the wide open horizon: attach it by the rear end to a 6-7' rope, make a knot (or a finger sized loop) at 2-3' and at the other end. Hold it over the shorter khot and swing the flashlight above the head, making sure it goes close to the horizontal plane, exactly 3 times, quickly switch to the end knot and swing 3 more times. Repeat until tired. That will create the well recognizable SOS beacon, efficiently visible to distant observers from every direction around you.