At one point I had tried to remove a bubble by placing the compass near an incandescent light bulb for a while - to heat it up. I'd read somewhere online that worked. Well, it melted the capsule. Too close I guess.

I sent the melted mess to the manufacturer with the story telling them that if they chose to ignore me due to my own damage I'd understand it ... and they replaced it anyway. I'm thinking it must have been the first of the two mirrored Brunton Eclipse compasses.

By the way, feature-wise and for ease of use I really REALLY like the Brunton mirrored Eclipse compasses. It looks like they are called the "Brunton TRUARC 20" now. They added a global needle and it looks like they dumped the info cards. They says its improved now - I hope they fixed the bubble issue.

That compass has a smaller width mirror that lifts up which is not quite so good for signaling, but I would bring Doug's survival pak anyway so not a big deal for me. Still, you'd better check them for bubbles before heading out.