Eton makes a range of emergency preparedness radios - hand cranked and/or solar charged. They tend to be pretty decent within their price range. Unfortunately, most "survival" receivers on the market these days aren't all that great performance-wise, and in my experience many are far less robust than one would expect from a radio intended for hard use.

A compact battery powered World Band receiver may cost a little more, but it will provide far better reception and many useful extra features. There are many excellent options out there. The good old Sony ICF-7600 is still the gold standard by which all comparable products are judged. I bought a Sony clone marketed by Radio Shack back in the 90's. It's an awesome receiver considering the size of the package. Power consumption is very low, especially with headphones (which I prefer to the speaker anyway).

I would warmly recommend the ICF-7600 or any similar WB radio to anyone looking for an easily portable AM/FM/SW receiver (~$100 range). As long as it has a digital PLL receiver, auto tuning and some memory channels to save your favorite frequencies you should be good to go. FM/AM radios work well in terms of local coverage, but SW opens up a whole new world of global communication.