Friend of mine has been the i-Pad queen ever since they came out and has had every generation. She recently got an i-Phone 6+ (the new big one) and said it has largely replaced her i-Pad for her. I have the 6+, too, and have had a similar experience. My MacBooks are portable enough.

In an emergency -- terrorist or natural disaster -- I'll be reaching for one of my portable AM-FM radios or a television, if the power is still on. My initial concern will be what is going on in my immediate area (including traffic reports) and for that, TV and/or radio are best.

So I have a portable AM-FM-SW radio in my purse, along with a couple extra batteries. I have a larger Sony tabletop AM-FM radio in my house, along with extra batteries (thanks, Costco). Also have a Grundig Yacht Boy shortwave radio at home. And I have a small AM-FM radio in my car (in addition to the car's AM-FM radio).

On September 11, 2001, like millions of people in the Washington, D.C. and New York City areas, I experienced the futility of trying to reach anyone via a cell phone when the proverbial sh*t hits the fan.

Texting is great advice.

A power outage would kill my wi-fi so unless I was getting a cell signal, I'd be reliant on old-fashioned radio.

This is a valuable discussion. Communication and information are key in a crisis.