Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
For the OP's question, define your INCH event.

To me, an INCH event is where things are really messed up and quite possible that supporting infrastructure is already gone or in bad shape. Meaning, would there still be a need to charge a cell phone? Carrying a few extra batteries for a flashlight is doable depending on supposed INCH event.

INCH event = Current conficts in North Africa, Middle East, and the Ukraine that is resulting in mass exodus of refugees to Europe. Refugees, once they're out of the conflict zone, will have access to mobile networks with the purchase of a local SIM card.

From what I have seen in the news pictures, the refugees are carrying any combination of casual backpacks, medium size conventional suitcases, and/or large cloth-bound bundles (I'm assuming regional carry technique).

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Cell Choice is important and pretty dependent on the application.

For example if you need to see in the dark then a torch might be required. If you want to see quite a distance in the dark then a high Lumen torch is required with a large high drain cell such as a 26650 Lithium Ion Cell. Flashlights with powers exceeding 10W may allow you to see a few hundred yards and last around 2 hours.

You can take a different approach and use an Image intensifier tube.

An Image intensifier tube may use around 0.2W and a single 26650 Lithium cell would last 100 Hours.

Entry level, brand name, "International" smart phones can be had relatively cheap. I paid $60 for a previous generation LG (non-international). It lacks the bells and whistles of the more expensive phones, but I can call, text, navigate, and access the web on it. The only things I don't have, but wish I did is OTG capabilities

Image intensifier tube = night vision goggles? Expensive option for anything newer then a Gen1 and about the weight of a 3D or 4D maglite. Unless you want to use it to bribe someone, there are better INCH options.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane