Originally Posted By: KenK
I've always felt the notion of a thunderstorm during primitive camping/hiking (with no real protection) to be one of the scariest things I could imagine. Luckily I haven't had to deal with that.

Besides staying "low" there doesn't seem to be a whole lot one can do ... besides praying.

I slept under a tarp the very same night that an "all time record high number of lightning strikes" front passed right through the area. Not much by continental U.S. standard, but clearly a night to remember.

When the weather rolled in I assessed the situation, and found that I had pitched my tarp in the perfect spot to ride out the thunderstorm anyway: Slight depression in a slightly hilly area. Most trees had been cut down, so no high trees or anything right by my tarp, but plenty of high threes on nearby hills. I was in the perfect "lowest possible risk" location, and I had a splendid view of the show! So I just lowered the tarp to make it more resistant to wind, then it was just to lie down and enjoy the show! Which I did, and it sure was a hefty show!