Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Are you really capable of taking headshots at 50 feet under extreme stress? When was the last time you've done that before? Can you really guarantee that your response won't endanger an innocent bystander?

I am no commando, armchair or otherwise -- the use of that phrase appears to be an attempt to be offensive. I'm a network security engineer who shoots in a couple of local leagues, with a side business teaching concealed carry. I'm middling good among my shooting buddies, probably the bottom of the top third for members of the leagues I shoot in.

It isn't particularly challenging to make a headshot at 50 feet with a handgun under simulated stress. I've done it in competition too many times to count.

What I suspect is happening here is a divide between those who train and practice and know their own limitations, and those who do neither and have made an assumption that civilian intervention in a violent attack will usually lead to more harm being done than good. The statistics in the USA say otherwise. You're more likely to be shot accidentally by a police officer than by a civilian concealed carrier, on a per-shooting basis.