Originally Posted By: barbakane

The advantages over other watches that cost a tiny fraction, is the fact that the automatics take no batteries, their water resistance is usually greater than the cheap watches. If the watch says is 200M WR, and it costs $50, it probably isn't.
Rolex has a screw down crown usually. If they don't, they have a series of gaskets that keep the water out of the movement. I won't ket into all the features that make it the world's best selling watch brand. Look it up if your curious. PLUS the resell value is certainly there. Try reslling a $30 Casio.

Don't take this the wrong way, and for the record I don't care if you buy $1,000,000 watches- but I can't imagine any of these things being big pluses for most people. For instance, I'm not waterproof to 200m, so if my watch it at 200m it's gonna have to go without me and it'll have to stay there. grin And if I don't blow ten grand on the watch that's ten grand I'll still have, no need to pawn my Timex. A CD is still going to be a better investment than a watch.

But I suppose if I won the Powerball, once I had all the HK firearms, high end knives, sports cars and collectible comics I could find...well, maybe then I'd consider something "better" than a Timex Expedition.