I think this is a common problem with all of the shows in the genre (granted, Stroud pretty much invented the genre). It just isn't compelling storytelling to stay put. I don't know that any of these shows are a really good manual for what to do when you are lost ... I think you really need to have a certain baseline of knowledge to draw good learnings from them.

That said, I think one of the things lacking in Survivourman in particular is the lack of trail marking or leaving of signs. Even in the episode where SAR's search efforts were featured, I don't think Stroud ever left any clues for his would-be rescuers. I mean if you are going to be moving about, at least give SAR some help.

Actually, this was something I did like about a few of the Man vs Wild episodes I've seen; at least some of them showed Grylls leaving signs indicating where he was travelling.