Originally Posted By: Bingley
I suspect historical situations probably give a more realistic idea of what a societal collapse might look like. After studying a few, I started thinking that perhaps how some survivalists imagine disaster to be has more to do with the fears in contemporary cultural undercurrents and with their view of the land/country. For example, very few are concerned with an invading army (or a domestic army that has "turned on" the people) -- common occurrences in the rest of the world that will be a real challenge to you and your self-reliant farm in the middle of nowhere.

Well said. That's why I love ETS and disdain many of "survival" sites that are primarily survivalist. I just don't think their ideas are realistic for the reasons you point out. They have this fantasy of living a secluded existence "off grid" where a couple rifles will magically protect them from the unwashed masses. That's probably not a viable position to hold. Likewise, speaking just for myself, I'm not sure I want to survive an "EOTWAWKI" situation. I like civilization quit a bit. Not sure if a hardscrabble existence living like an animal is worth it to me. Not permanently that is.