Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb

I read this the other day, and I though it was the best analysis out there. Apparently, there's some people who are saying that the left turn was programmed into the nav computer like 11 minutes before the final "Good Night" voice message, which tends to knock a hole in this theory.

That could be a SOP. The guy I flew with had two radios and would look ahead and the next frequency he needed and program it into the non active radio until he was ready to switch to it then it was a simple flip of a switch. Likewise the "go around" button which would automatically set everything to the pre-set optimal position to abort a landing and go around for another pass rather than manually having to change the throttle, flaps, steer, etc all at the same time.

I'd bet the pilots do the same, they look ahead and the next landing spot and program into the computer then in an emergency all they would have to do is hit enter to run it. Then if no emergency you clear that one and program in the next and repeat as you travel. Much the same as when I travel I think ahead to the next restroom knowing my kids will need it as soon as I pass by the previous one.

That makes a lot of sense actually... they have about 20 days left.. hope they find it or it's going to turn into a multi-year hunt I suspect.