Originally Posted By: AKSAR
One useful (and legal) trick is to take tylenol (acetaminophen) and motrin (ibuprophen) together. Take no more than a normal recommended over the counter dose of each. They relieve pain by different mechanisms, and together provide better pain relief than either alone.

Be very carefull to only take the maximum recommended dose of acetominophen! Note that many other over the counter medications also contain acetominophen (for example many cold and sinus meds). Make sure your cumulative dose of acetominophen (tylenol) from all the meds you take is not too high. Overdosing on acetominophen (tylenol) will destroy your liver. I've been told it is not a pleaseant way to die.

+1
About 20 years ago I had an operation that left me in significant post-op pain. The opiate based meds gave me a really bad reaction. My Doctor switched me to the Ibuprophen and Acetaminophren combo, at the max OTC rates (see the bottles), with the same cautions about the Acetominphren. It worked well for me as the pain was reduced to a reasonable and tolerable level, without the (for me) bad side effects of the opiate based pain relievers.