no kiddin' Bingley. Hahahaha!

you know, the original poster had it pretty right. that gun with a 22LR barrel and a 20-gage shotgun barrel is a pretty nice choice for outdoors survival. we're just talking putting food on the table here, although the 20-gage is fine as a defensive tool.

just as simple is a 357 revolver. you can fire 38-cal bullets for small game like rabbits. and the 357 rounds will be fine for small deer, or other small-medium game animals. likewise, a lever-action carbine in 38/357 does very well for those purposes. people who do not like much recoil can fire the 38's thru the gun and there is almost no recoil at all.

otherwise ... the sky's the limit of possible choices of guns. for strictly survival hunting I think the 22mag and the 22Hornet cartridges have a lot going for them. there is a reason why aircrews used to be issued fold-up survival rifles in 22Hornet. I think Henry still makes rifles like that, if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the Henry AR-7 survival rifle in 22LR.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

really a very nice piece of work. only 3.5 pounds and the whole thing folds up. it's hard to argue against always having one of these babies with you. this is as simple as it gets ... and nothing beats simple !!

Pete2

Edited by Pete (12/12/13 05:45 AM)