Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
[quote=Phaedrus]... 3) they may violate some people's sensibilities regarding the wilderness experience. ...

Thinking that a small inconspicuous emergency beacon would somehow diminish a wilderness experience is a good indicator of a person who has "issues". I'm a child of the 50's and I carry a PLB any time I'm out and about. CANOEDOGS has a few more years than me and he carries one too. The PLB may be high tech and it may have taken rocket science to put the GPS constellation into orbit, but deciding to carry one was a no-brainer. It in no way diminishes the experience; that's just an excuse being used to justify an irrational position. My opinion, YMMV...

Russ,

Although I have "issues" about a lot of things, this is not one of them. If it does not diminish the experience for you, fine. It has nothing to do with the size or intrusion of the device itself. It goes back to the mental intrusion. To me (YM obviously V) the requirement that I depend only on myself is one of the reasons I make some trips into the wilderness. There is a feeling that is lost when you "Can holler for help". I have a PLB. Most of my trips are for work. I carry a PLB for these trips and those where I am responsible for others. When I do not carry a PLB, I know and accept the risk involved.

Respectfully,

Jerry