i have been thinking about this idea for awhile,a YouTube of an planned wilderness canoe trip to help a SAR unit home in on you faster.i'm going to have knee surgery this spring so i won't be doing this until late in 2014 but in the meantime this may help someone else.
the idea is to set up a campsite showing what sort of gear you use and then make a video to explain to a SAR's what you look like,the gear you carry and where you plan on going.
at the start i would say that if i set off my PLB it's the real thing and i'm just not tired and want a ride home.i would be having a medical emergency or washed ashore someplace without my canoe and gear.i would stand in the clothes and PFD i wear to help ID myself and show the tent,shelter and canoe.
i would talk about what sort of signal devices i would use,flasher,fire,smoke or water dye.
a map of the trip and expected camp site would be included.
now this may seem like alot but i'll be into my 70's soon and i want to keep canoe tripping as long as possible and i have run into several old guys out on the canoe trail so it's not a unreasonable thing to do.
info on the PLB set up would have a note to look at my "help me" Youtube along with info left with my family.
you feedback is more than welcome.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/06/13 05:04 AM)