Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
there is no control of who uses the airwaves the radio with the most power wins that frequency.with millions trying to get on the air HAM would be a lost bet for most users.
also it would be a source of misinformation for folks like me who just have a receiver.you could never trust any info and how would you know if a official station was real.

It's a valid question to pose, certainly, but I wonder if that's really the case. Maybe on the 2m repeater bands it's more of a wild west situation. But it seems to me that HAMs have been through many a dark crisis and have, as a community, maintained a broad base of respect. This is earned, not given.

I suspect HAMs regulate themselves individually and as a culture the same way we regulate ourselves individually/culturally in this forum. We do not have the right to do as we please; we have the privilege of participating. We give each other a kick under the table if we're pushing the boundary. And if we overstep, there is that giant Monty Python foot, poised to thin the herd.

My 2c.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/17/13 02:16 AM)