To be honest, buffalo is kind of for the tourists. Those of us that live here don't eat it all that much. We probably should, though. It's lean and healthy stuff. Obviously you can't go wrong with a buffalo burger, and that's how most people eat it. It's really superb in chili, too. I very much like to smoke the brisket, then pull it like you would with pork. Awesome pulled buff brisket sammies!

I'm sure that if you were dig deep into it, Squaw bread/Indian tacos is probably a modern thing. But they're really good and pretty popular, especially in the more rural areas. It's a little too rustic for the more 'urbane' folks. wink

SoDak is really 'meat and taters' country for the most part, outside of the few largest cities. Again, except for the city folks we don't eat much ocean fish. Walleye is extremely popular though since Pierre bills itself as 'The Walleye Capital of the World.' Catfish and perch are pretty popular as are panfish. We tend to eat a lot more wild game than in other places too. Deer and antelope are popular as they outnumber people. Ducks, geese, turkeys and pheasants are popular. Doves are eaten if you're a good enough shot to bag them; I'd wager a full box of 25 shells is expended on the average for every dove brought down!

There's a fair bit of corn grown here, hence the absurd Corn Palace in Mitchell. But we do like our corn. For the most part it's just eat on the cob with butter and salt. During the summer we grill it a lot.

As far as scenery, I should also mention that big horn sheep are getting common enough in the Hills that there are actually a lot of signs warning to watch for them on the road. Getting to be enough mountain lions that they're reliable sited quite a bit. No bears (that I know of) outside of bear country but I suppose it can't be ruled out that there are a few wild ones.

Man, this thread is making me homesick for West River! Gotta try to get up to the Black Hills before winter.