Although I admit that the MultiTool has reduced the number of places where a single blade folderis king, but it still has its place.

The multitool is a medocre knife, particularly when it comes to accessability. By the time you get your mut out of the case, my knife has come out, opened, finished the job and returned to my pocket. This is particularly true where the blade is inside the mut and the handles must be opened to use it (especially those where the handles must then be closed to use it saftely. I use a knife often, a multitool rarely. The knife is in my pocket, the multitool in my bag. I must admit I have been trying a small Leatherman without a knife blade. It is now riding in my watch pocket. This may or may not continue.

When on the water or in the air (not on an airline) I always carry a knife. Many times a fixed blade is inappropriate for political, comfort or other reasons. This is the place for a single blade, quick opening, folder. The same can be said of fire or rescue personnel.

Some of us are also just old codgers and have carried a knife clipped to our pockets since Spyderco brought out the Worker. I am probably not going to change any time soon. I still carry it even when I carry a fixed blade (for uses I might not use the fixed blade for like striking a fire steel or testing the hardness of a rock) or a multitool for when I want a knife more quickly.

It might not be for everyone, but many of us find lots of reasons to carry the single blade folder - and some of them even make sense!

Respectfully,

Jerry