Quote:
I got cocky on the South Branch and tried wading across just a few yards from a low damn. Got about mid-thigh and found myself stuck by the force of the water. Couldn't lift my foot to take a step without getting knocked over. Wound up going over the damn, fortunately only about 2' high, but got several bruises from the experience. I learned my lesson and give falls and damns a wide berth.

You were very lucky. Low head dams are known as drowning machines due to the hydraulics, in which there is a back flow (roller/backwash). This back flow (roller/backwash) causes the person, boat, etc., to recirculation within the roller/backwash. The only way I know of to break the pattern, is to go to the very bottom of the roller/backwash and try and catch the outflow. One problem is that is often where there is considerable debris in this area, which can be very large. Low head dams are designed to break up large objects such as logs to prevent damming of the river. Often there will be large grate-like structures to assist in the breakup.

Pete