I'm thinking of getting the Scottevest Pack Windbreaker as the jacket to carry stuff in. Light enough for summer use and it has a ton of pockets and it comes in light colors other than black. http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/nylon-windbreaker-packable-jacket.shtml

Each of us will have our main kit stored in a simple 18"x10" barrel duffel bag that we'll keep in the room and each sub-kit like first aid, food, etc will be in separate dry sacks. I can store valuables in the room safe.

We like to swim and lay out in the sun and participate in a lot of activities on the ship. We're not going to lug the entire kits around the ship all day and night. Half the time we'll be in bathing suits and there will probably be a few dinners where we wear coat and tie / dinner dress.

Most of our planning is for comfort if the ship loses power and to have money resources if we get dumped on an island. If it goes beyond that, and we have to get in lifeboats, we'll load up our jackets with as much gear as possible. The underlying philosophy we're adopting is that we'll have enough time to go to the room no matter the emergency. This may be a flawed philosophy but the main idea is to have fun and we're willing to risk it. If I have clothing with pockets on I may EDC a pocket knife, keychain flashlight, and money/credit cards but beyond that, everything will stay in the duffel bag in the room or in the room safe.