Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The design of most of the these sea going floating hotel barges would indicate that if they get into distress they will begin to list quite badly and quite rapidly. It might be better to do a little research into the list angle before they capsize (could rotate fully and capsize within seconds to minutes i.e. going..going...gone) and consequently getting to the lifeboat muster station in time could prove problematic. Also the list angle will dictate whether the main lifeboats could even be deployed. A compass with a clinometer might be useful to take with you.

Please note the number of Cruise Liners from European and American Ports that have capsized over the last decade or so. That one took several hours and probably some poor seamanship to turn over. Capsize is at the bottom of the list of probable difficulties in a relatively safe technology. The biggest problems are discomfort and, way on top, poor sanitation. These are the problems you should be worrying about. What help would a Sat Phone have given (other that 15 min on CNN) on any of the recent at sea problems (even the Concordia)? I may be wrong in my evaluation, and it certainly is your hide, but I think the availability of sunscreen and hand sanitizer, as well as some private stores of food, are the most important parts of your at survival kit. I have been on only one cruise, but I have spent lots of time at sea. I carry some signaling devices in my flotation coat in case I fall overboard (working on a low deck at night and in foul weather introduces that possibility) and I carried those on the cruise. Not that it was a high probablilty, but because I had them and the coat was ideal for SE Alaska in the summer.

Respectfully,

Jerry