Lee, I am in Phoenix and have hiked, backpacked and rock climbed all over the Superstitions. My means of navigation was always a map and compass. One of the hiking maps sold by Wide World of Maps is a good trail map to help navigate with up to date trail information.

I started hiking the superstitions in the early 1960's and there were almost no houses around, roads were vague and the trails were not at all crowded, you could hike all weekend without seeing another person. Not that way today, most trails are pretty well travelled. So, assistance is more available, perhaps.

Since I am older now, I too worry about an injury, especially when hiking alone. You can find yourself pretty far from the car and with an injury that slows you down, or stops you, it can be life threatening. I have also had almost no cell coverage (Verizon) once over the first ridge inside the Supes. The phone drains the battery rapidly seeking a signal that is not available. So, I don't have much faith in a cell phone out there.

The iphone has the added disadvantage of a fixed battery, so once it is dead, there is no changing it out.

I will add that although I own 3 hiking GPS units, I have never carried one in the Superstitions. The landmarks are pretty well defined out there and it makes orientation with a map and compass very easy. The beauty of the PLB is you can signal for help, which a GPS can't do.