While many of us think of emergencies occurring in wildlands, the fact is that all, or nearly all of us live in fairly settled environments. So when a problem arises, we are likely to be in an urban, or semi-urban situation. The open country, classic SoCal chaparral (extremely flammable) near my home has burned twice in the more than twenty years I have lived here, and each time my wife and I have activated our disaster plan and loaded up the van, ready to move and embark on an impromptu camping trip. By now, with a lot of experience in the outdoors, I am generally fairly well equipped and trained; my chances of avoiding a problem are thereby enhanced.

Perhaps the one advantage of being used to the outdoors is that many disaster scenarios will resemble just another outdoors excursion with the gear with which you are already familiar.

I am not a knuckle dragging Neanderthal, although I must admit that my knuckles do have some suspiciously thick calluses. I really do prefer an upright posture, just like that of my mommy and daddy....