I'm kind of surprised by how many don't see a use for them.

Now, in a "pure wilderness" outting, sure there might not be a need. But... how much pure wilderness is there? Or perhaps another question, why did we invent pliers?

I've never needed to pull quills with them as I don't have a dog, but I know several dog owners who have. I have pulled thorns with them in the past year. And cut barbed wire. And grabbed hot stuff. I've used them for grabbing small things when my hands were cold and wet and either too slippery or too dingy to handle things like a needle or wire- glomming onto pliers is big muscle work without a lot of precision. I've used them to pull needles through heavy fabric and leather. I've not recently used them to cut off a fish hook after pushing it through, but I also don't fish that often, nor do I pluck birds, but I've found them quite helpful.

Add in the fine work wood saw, a file, and screw drivers that fit things like snow shoe and ski bindings, laterns, pot handles, pack frames, knives, firearms, traps, boat and small vehicle motors, bicycles... The multi is the tool of the possible.

Yeah, I carry a multi on and off the blacktop. And a Swiss Army Knife, for the scissors and because I think they have better can and bottle openers, and they make better spare knives- I think a multi without a SAK is a lonely tool and vice versa. Carry them both and a light and a few feet of duct tape and a little wire and a needle or two and a spool of dental floss and a few feet of paracord and maybe a couple paperclips, then you can giggle at most problems.

What I would say is avoid the Sidekick/Wingman. I have no idea what is going on at Leatherman, but those and the new snowboarding tools make me think someone isn't quite there. From the current production, I'd say the Rebar is your best balance in size, weight, cost and performance, and partnered with a Compact or a Climber, it's a good combo. So was the original model SuperTool with a Climber or Compact. My first PST rode with a Huntsman for years, and they still live in my truck. My OHT is partnered with another PST. With a Hiker or Outrider, your Pockettool should be a great duo. About my only SAK I don't partner with a multi is a Ranger- that just goes out with a pair of pliers.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.