Originally Posted By: haertig
I was not saying you were thinking like that, it was intended to be a generic comment. My point being, if one is going to deploy something that is a lethal weapon in the eyes of the law, might as well deploy one that is most useful. A gun beats a stick, even though in the eyes of the law they are the same (when used as a weapon). But where you live does not allow you the better defensive option, so it's a moot point.

We were robbery/kidnap victims,you know where that leads,murder victims. We got out ONLY because the younger of the 2 balked when he smartened up almost instantly and realized he wasnt cut out for that.The old guy was perfectly willing to take it to the extreme.

When one balked,they fled.

So tell me,are you going to be concerned you may be sued? I coulda taken out the kid when he got the drop on us and the old man I doubt would have appeared at all.And if he had,he was toast at that point,double-aught toast.

So you see,its where you are coming from,where youve been,and where you are willing to go.

Money is nothing,and can be replaced if we lost it all post battle.Life cant be brought back.

No victim,nope,not again.And get this,we werent unarmed either,we were dropped on.I dont walk a campground carrying a shotgun,I cant legal carry a concealed gun.

So thats my point.You can cower and die,or you can fight and determine your fate to an extent.You never leave the scene with a perp,that has a nasty outcome of almost always being death.

A club,oh yeah,woulda been just the ticket to get the space covered I needed,not more than 20 feet,to get more than equal.2 clubs even better,the Mrs is known as Ninja B among our friends,I kid you not.Bear spray woulda done the trick too,we never camp without it now at hands reach. So sue me scum. From your cell.

Reviewing this,she said she was completely emotionally prepared to shoot em if she had to,had been FORCED to.... and regrets the weapon to do so wasnt available..for deterrence or more,their choice.

All we got was lucky as all get out we didnt die,I thank God,YMMV,but its all it was in my opinion.
==================================
In spite of this problem, my practical attitude is that a confident display of a weapon can have a strong deterrent effect. I'm not talking about firing a gun or slashing someone with a knife (or hitting with a stick) - but holding the weapon with confidence and poise. If you show that you know how to use it, you demonstrate mental confidence, and your would-be attackers think they could get seriously hurt, then they may re-consider.

Absolutely,I agree 100% that deterrence works ( It has for me) when you do just what youve posted,I dont scare now,I get MAD and it shows. Im not your scaredy cat victim,no no,not at all,Ive learned better.
==============================

Great discussion folks,and fine advice,all of it.I understand what you say Heartig on the legal aspect,and what to say and more importantly NOT to say.Ive read up/researched plenty on it to not shoot my mouth off.LEO arent your friends at that point,your lawyer is.

Agree very much on some training,we have just the guy we could use too,the grandsons martial arts school(Oh yeah,every time he visits he has class time,guess why,LOL!) has all kinds of training and will customize to your needs,and that will be utilized for a few skills,points,handling.Had a little in the military,basic skills arent that tough as Pete knows.

Im thinking a cane type and a stick both have rather specific uses,stick for walking,cane for suburban,may as well get both,we are talking little cost really.