Originally Posted By: gulliamo
Excellent points bacpacjak! I'm always a bit leery of the "run-for-the-woods" version of bug-out vs. the "bug-out to friend/relative's place". It could be that all the cool gear and equipment come along with the woods version... J

I'm sure most on this board recognize the "woods" option as a last resort but we owe it to the newcomers to remind them how distant an option that should be.

Am I really far off here?

For our preps, there are two bug-out scenarios: Go to a hotel or friend/relative's place until things calm down (i.e. short term, location specific event, like a house fire or neighbourhood event) -or- get out of dodge, which would be a more regional event (like the flooding they've seen in this event. A bug-out with just your family or a few families is an entirely different event than one where thousands of people are trying to get out.

Something else to consider is that by all accounts, returning to some of the areas affected by this disaster is not as easy as it was to go out. (i.e. Carpool restrictions, for instance.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA