It is doubtful that anything we learn after the fact will make much difference to the way people perceive this.

One story I read suggested the reason they set sail into potential danger was because they had a contract to be in FL in a few weeks. It seems possible that the perceived need to be somewhere to fulfill that contract may have led them to think this was a good idea.

It is also quite possible that having a good deal of experience and skills in sailing they figured they were good enough to make it through regardless of the weather. It is not unusual for people who either have or think they have special skills and/or knowledge to be willing to take on unnecessary risks because they think their skill and experience will get them through if something goes wrong.

Perhaps a combination of both these factors (and possibly many others) along with mechanical difficulties proved to be their undoing. It is doubtful we will ever know with any real certainty.

Incidentally, something I read elsewhere said there were two Coast Guard choppers involved, several hours apart. That kind of makes sense as I suspect getting 14 people into a single CG copter might not be possible.

Bob