Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Hurricane Sandy passed by us last night. We didn't expect much more than rain and high winds, and that's exactly what we got. Power flickered throughout the neighbourhood but we didn't loose it for more than a few minutes at a time. It was little more more than a bad fall storm but we did learn a few things.

Great report Bacpac. At least you are much more prepared then many who resorted to downloading flashlight apps for their iPhones...

Speaking of apps, even though we are more 3000+ miles away on the west coast, I still have an interest in the hurricane news the past few days. One web and multi-platform mobile app I found to be invaluable is Tunein Radio. This all in one app is available for Android, Apple, Blackberry, Windows phone and allows one to listen to 1000's of different news radio broadcasts, police / fire department dispatchers etc over wifi or cell networks. I have had this app running quite a bit while at my work desk and it has earned a permanent install on my phone.

No affiliation etc..

John Lubbock