Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Hurricane Sandy passed by us last night. We didn't expect much more than rain and high winds, and that's exactly what we got. Power flickered throughout the neighbourhood but we didn't loose it for more than a few minutes at a time. It was little more more than a bad fall storm but we did learn a few things.

You've still got more coming.

Exactly. It's a lull in the storm. Good time to take advantage of to fix up a few holes in the preps. And sleep. A nap or two is definitely in order for all of us. It was a long night.

Our thinking exactly. It's calm today but we're still getting strong gusts and the sky is overcast but bright, but in the distance it's dark and ominous. Just about everyone I've interacted with has appeared to think it's over but the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

I had a craving for nachoes and salsa, so I ventured out to the grocery store. (hubby was working on cleaning up the garage and checking our trees for damage) It was very quiet, except for the store alarm system that was going off every 10 minutes. (The cashier said that if it wasn't for the alarm and the odd customer, she'd be bored. She was hoping to be sent home since they were over-staffed.) After stopping at the pharmacy for children's gravol, I took advantage of some sales and grabbed a dozen and a half canned and tetra soups and stews, a bulk box 64 of granola bars, 32 fruit cups and big jar of salsa and some nacho chips. Then I snagged some (3 X AAA) LED flashlights (one for every room), new batteries for all the fire alarms and carbon monoxide dectors in the house, and a couple of new batteries for our 6v lights. I used my debit card, preferring to keep the cash in case things do get worse.

Our area has faired very well so far. There very some tiny branches (a little more than twigs) on the driveway, but both vehicles looked to have not a scratch. We lost one tree in the neighbourhood, but thankfully it only hit a fence. There are about a gazillion leaves on the streets, and people are out cleaning them up. On my drive to and from the store, I saw some downed tree limbs and small branches, and some ripped up fences, but it's'basically life as usual. The schools, library and stores are open.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA